Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Nothing to do but order seeds


We are in for a week or two of cold and wet weather here on the coast. It will be too cold to open the hives to check the bees and too wet to work the soil. I will have to comfort myself by looking through beautiful garden catalogs and ordering seeds! Yesterday I actually ordered some fingerling (small at maturity) seed potatoes (potatoes with eyes that will mature into new potato plants). Last year I waited too late and everyone was sold out of the fingerlings that I wanted to try. I don't want to devote room in my raised beds to potatoes, so I either will put them into the ornamental bed out front that still gets plenty of sun (the new maple tree just isn't that big yet), or I will make a wire cylinder and plant them there. If I go that route I will post photos for you.

Although I haven't made any final varietal decisions, I know that I will plant sugar snap peas, tomatoes, beans, squash, cucumbers, basil, parsley, beets, hot peppers, and carrots. Last year I had great luck with my tomatoes, and disastrous results with my squash and cucumbers (borers got every vine). Who knows what this year will bring? My only small garden regret, which I feel most deeply while looking at seed catalogs, is that I have no space for sweet corn.