Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Bee string, greenhouse lizard, Lou update



I don't know what the bees were doing here.  They will hold onto one another in strings like this when they are "measuring" inside the hive, but these were on the front of the hive in the early morning.  It is so fascinating to watch them, and they seem to have so many complex interactions with one another.  They all are working in a frenzy right now.  I need to open the hives soon to see if there is any honey being collected and to make sure all is well in the brood boxes.  The second photo is not from my yard, but is a picture I snapped with my cell phone this week in a local greenhouse.   The green lizard on the red and white flower was just too good to pass up, even though I did not get the lizard himself in the clearest focus.  For those of you who have been wondering:  Lou seems to have gotten over whatever led her to be ill earlier this week.  She was only sick for one afternoon, then was back to her old self.  The newest chicken issue at our house:  they have found the steps up to the back porch, and like to roost there.  I don't want chickens on my steps or porch.  Hmmmmm.  I will have to figure how to break this habit quickly.