Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Blueberries, squash, tomatoes, oh my!




Well, the sugar snap peas are done, and I was ready for it.  It is true, you CAN have too much of a good thing.  I pulled up those vines, and used them as mulch under the blueberry bushes.  The vines were healthy, and blueberries and peas really don't share pests, so there was no risk of disease or insect issues.  My blueberry plants remain very small, but oh, the blueberries are so sweet and flavorful!  We have the entire bed covered by a frame and bird netting to insure that we get the fruit.

The Italian zucchini also are producing.  I love this meaty vegetable.  Here you see a few sitting on the railing of the steps, along with the eggs harvested the same evening.  If you look closely you will see how days without enough water, followed by days with enough water, result in squash that are not evenly sized from end to end.  Oh well. 

Almost as exciting as the ripe squash are the tomatoes that are starting to fill out.  So very beautiful!  In one of my beds the plants are 5 feet tall and dark green, making me wonder if that bed got a little too much fertilizer!  I am trying to keep the tomatoes well watered to prevent blossom end rot, but it has been awfully dry, and I haven't been quite as attentive as I should.  Time will tell!

Finally, my yukon gold potato plants are suddenly showing signs of disease.  Here you see the leaf spots.  In addition, the vines are yellowing and the plants are looking sickly overall.  So far the potatoes I dig (and oh are they beautiful and tasty!) show no symptoms, but I plan to get them out of the ground right away now, just in case.  I have not identified the disease at issue; from a cursory view it does not readily match any of the potato diseases.  I need to get some leaves, stems and roots under the microscope!  However, just getting the potatoes dug now will solve the problem, plus will give me a free bed for more beans, squash or cukes!  I will make sure to get rid of all potato plant leaf and stem and root materials, and not compost them, as I don't want to spread the disease for future years.