Monday, September 26, 2011

Seedlings!






Look at all the tiny, beautiful lettuce, kale, turnip, and collard seedlings!  With all the rain we have been having, the replanted fall garden practically jumped out of the ground.  I had trouble finding replacement lettuce seeds locally, so just planted the one lettuce mix packet that I was able to find.  I did leave part of the bed empty so that I can put in some butterhead type lettuce if I can find it.

Mixed in you see some arugula plants that I purchased and the one remaining basil.  That basil plant is putting out a pretty good effort for this late in the season and surviving the hurricane with nothing but a couple of bare stalks intact.

Although I don't have a good picture yet, I can't help but laugh when I see the broccoli bed.  You may recall that it was planted a few weeks before the hurricane, and that all the plants were eaten down to tiny green nubs by the hens that free ranged for two weeks after the storm.  Well, every broccoli plant has started putting on new leaves!  Somehow the hens missed a growing point on each of those stems, and the plants drew from their established root systems and are giving it another try.  I don't have the heart to replace them now!