Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Two Birds With One Shot

Thank you for all your suggestions for using my hot peppers. I will dry most, to add to my home grown spice cabinet. I really, however, wanted to make hot pepper jelly, as I love it on cheese, pork, chicken - well, most anything! The recipes called for green peppers as the bulk of the final pepper jelly, with just a touch of hot peppers. I loathe green peppers. So, I decided to use my abundance of figs for the bulk item, switching to jam instead of jelly, with lots of hot peppers to spice it up.

What a spectacular success! I used the jam setting on my Zojirushi mini bread machine for the first time, which made this absurdly simple. It makes only about a cup and a half of jam, but all I had to do was dump in the ingredients, push one button, and walk away for an hour and a half, so no complaints from me. I can just increase the same recipe to make a larger volume of jam on top of the stove with lots of watching and stirring.

I invented the recipe by choosing bits and pieces of three or four recipes. Luckily it worked first time around. I didn't write it down as I went, but I think this is it:
2 cups chopped figs
3/4 cup sugar
1 T lemon juice
1/2 T white vinegar
4 chopped mildly hot red peppers, most seeds removed
1 clove garlic, chopped

This is nicely spicy, but not really hot. I might up the pepper ratio for the next batch.

Too many figs, too many peppers: hot pepper fig jam!